Thursday, March 3, 2016

Here Einstein, Hold My Beer

Capitalism is great, but it also makes the cheese selection at the store more difficult. Do we really need that many different options? Maybe. Luckily, pepper jack is superior.

I figured out that I'm officially an adult. How you ask?  I like to dabble in podcasts these days. The aspect that I really enjoy about podcasts is they make me think about all the different areas of my life. Typically in one morning, I go from wanting to be a better Christian to turkey hunter connoisseur to paying off my student loan to wanting to buy a Steph Curry jersey to learning the subjective tense of tener en Espanol. I'd like to think I'm keeping my brain on it's toes.

I definitely believe this thought spontaneity is making me a more well-rounded individual, but just like having too much stagnant water around breeds mosquitos, too many priorities can breed stress. Do I want to be completely debt free or do I want to travel the world while I'm young? Is gluten or eating red meat worse for me? With having a limited amount of time and mental energy in one day, this over load of seemingly important ambitions can leave you discombobulated.

There's an argument to be made that you should focus your efforts and narrow your knowledge base to become great at one thing. I don't agree with that. Based on my driving history and interactions with other people in the super market, there are enough simple minded folks out there. Thomas Edison had 1,093 patents in his lifetime. It's hard to argue with Thomas Edison's lifestyle. That's like arguing with America. Japan tried that once.

My motivation pieces to this are:

1. Keep learning. I don't care if you're the spry young age of 70. You don't know everything yet. Finish the fourth quarter strong. Learn something unfamiliar.

2. Keep it fresh. If you're a black belt in hip hop knowledge, diversify and check out both kinds of music, country and western. Same old, same old? More like lame old, lame old. Am I right? Maybe podcasts aren't your thing. Read a book about a subject you have no knowledge of or better yet, that you don't agree with.

Cultivate your random brain intelligence. You'll be a better conversationalist, a better trivia teammate and an overall more rounded personality.

Squirrel side-note: Is calling someone a square essentially saying they're not well-rounded?

New in my life: Labrador retriever puppies are my kryptonite. A sustainable bed and breakfast starts with a few seeds and growing lamp. Mary Jo's cheesecake freezes quite well.

Comments below are welcomed.

Keep smilin'

#goAtlife

No comments:

Post a Comment