Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Thy Cup Runneth Over

If I had to describe life right now with one word it would be “overwhelming.” Casting aside several layers of personal and professional angst that are weighing me down, it’s not too difficult to get overloaded with information, news, opinions and everything else that comes with living a life online.

Step one has been to whittle away my online presence. Facebook went out the door about 6
years ago; Twitter followed about 6 months ago (although, that admittedly hung on for way longer than it should have); Instagram and Snapchat are next on the chopping block.

Each voluntary culling of my online personality has brought with it a temporary panic of FOMO, followed by a lingering curiosity of what may be getting posted, to the point where I forget that this random site on the interweb held so much of attention, unnecessarily so.

But even if I slowly shed my social media baggage, the internet has a way of continuing to bombard you with content, even without an InstaTwittergramBook profile.

I have and will likely always be a politically junky. So, my current interest in the civic discourse of our great country has certainly piqued my interest. Without twitter to spoon-feed me the headline of the moment, I still find myself checking my cadre of news sources on repeat throughout the day, waiting for the next big headline to come through. This is probably more of a personal problem than one that others can relate to. But I feel like living a life online has created a sense that the next headline is right around the corner and you better not miss it.

Similarly to my good friend Mr. Mosley, I enjoy me some well-spent time in the outdoors. But domiciling in a big city like Denver, even with the Rockies at my doorstep, rarely lends itself to time disconnecting fully and completely. However, I was able to spend my Labor Day weekend with only myself, what I could pack on my back and a bow and arrow, chasing backcountry elk with a hunting buddy.

While three days doesn’t seem like a lot, the opportunity to be completely off the grid was a welcomed break from everything life and the world at large was throwing at me. I went to bed at night not worried about checking news headlines; I spent my days listening for distant bugles rather than political dog whistles. I forgot that most of the things I checked and rechecked every day, even existed. By the time I got home, I was certainly interested in catching up on some of what I missed.

But I also regretted not having done this in a larger capacity. I get why people decide to sell all their belongings and go off the grid somewhere far from civilization. Being blissfully ignorant about the last season of Game of Thrones, or what your uncle’s opinions on Elizabeth Warren in meme form are, certainly has its appeal.

Ultimately, though, we have to face the reality that this is our lives and we have jobs to work and families to raise and problems to solve just like everyone else. The modern world isn’t so bad, but I’ve found that taking time to remove yourself from it – even if just for fleeting moments – is not only helpful, but necessary.

I’m slowly working on finding opportunities to clear my head of the onslaught of life and integrating that into my weekly and daily routine.

New in my life: freezer is full, always make sure you’re properly hydrated, I’m 15 lbs from Joe having to give me all my college t-shirts back.

Way Out West,

Dr. Tarp


Travis Arp is a chronic creative writer, lover of craft beer and Doctorate of Meat Sciences dwelling in Denver. He spends his time pursuing the outdoors, renovating furniture and catching a band play with his lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment