Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Manifest Destiny, pt. 2, Exploring the Known

"Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time." - Viktor Frankl

Driving straight from Denver, I found a campground a couple hours south of Jackson on the map and went to check it out. It was next to a lake with a background of the Tetons and friendly ducks.

Morning routine: percolated coffee, journal and read in the sunshine

It was still windy and getting down to the 30's at night. This was my first night sleeping in the back of the truck with my topper. Lessons were learned. The next morning I drove to Jackson Hole and I went to buy an air pad for the cot and a sleeping bag liner to increase the insulation.

   Archway of Antlers in Jackson

The Tetons and Jackson Hole are a special place. I camped for a couple nights around the city of Jackson and started my daily unemployed penance of going on a hike per day. A dynamic I didn't expect was the uneasiness of sleeping and hiking in Grizzly country. It's the realization that something else can kill you and a good reminder for comfortable-living southerner. Checks and balances.

 
The JoeMobile in her natural element

The town of Jackson itself is pretty touristy but they don't let it affect their personality or culture. I had a couple beers at a rather famous honky tonk called Cowboy's. 

Craft beer is a proud staple in every region of the West I've learned

Having intentionally ignored any form of news, I didn't know the state of Yellowstone and what new regulations they were practicing.  As I drove, I quickly realized that all but 3 campgrounds in the park were closed so I reluctantly obliged to stay in a pricey, community campground for the night. I justified it by getting 2 showers out of the deal and talking to a preacher who was camping next door with his family.

I started driving through the park and it really is an eye opener to what the undeveloped world looked like for the first pioneers. Granted there is some commercialization done by the park for the large amount of visitors it gets, but nothing like a Gatlinburg where you're prompted to drive go carts and putt putt along with your "nature" experience.

 

 
 
I also learned in my time in the park that there is an online group of people that follow everything imaginable about the park. From the famous Grizzlies, to the geysers to volcanic eruption predictions, you can find an online daily forum to update you of happenings.

Crazy fact is  that they are still discovering waterfalls in remote parts of Yellowstone

Normal routine at this point was to unload my cooler and gear, gather firewood, make dinner and since it stays light until 10pm, have a beer while reading a book next to the fire. It's fascinating what your mind conjures up when you are out of your normal settings, with no influence and no connectivity. There is no social media induced emotion of missing out on things.  It forces you to be overly friendly to everyone and really think outside the box.

For me it made me realize I didn't have to automatically go back into sales or technology just because my resume declared it. I also made a list of things, people and habits I wanted to keep in my life and vice versa. You've heard it before, "I need to clear my head." I'd recommend it for any size of decision. Get out of your normal and away from any opinions. Our brains are great and random producers. Previously, I realized I hadn't spent much time mentally and occupationally exploring hobbies and passions I had.

After Jackson, I headed up to the northwest end of the park stopping to check out anything that caught my eye.  I love Yellowstone and the preservation they intentionally have in place. The sheer amount of buffalo that roam there is worth the trip. The thing that surprised me is I rarely ran into hikers on the trails. I know it's a weird time, but it seems a lot of the guests of Yellowstone simply sign up for the boardwalks and window shopping for pictures. To each their own.

   
I like buffaloes 

The next chapter of my exploring would be spent in and around the quaint town of Gardiner, MT and Paradise Valley. Stay tuned for that.


For a full collection of snapshots from the journey, go here.

New in my life: the only material goods I value: a freezer full of wild game, a garden full of veggies and a stack of vinyls. Adulting requires math. Glucosamine is part of a balanced diet and living in the mountains. 

Keep smilin'

JM


No comments:

Post a Comment